22 July 2009

Just peachy


Peach picking happened on Sunday and has yielded, in chronological order: one fruit crisp, 84 ounces of jam and two frozen pies, 
with six peaches to spare.

I tried some of the jam this morning. It turned out a little stiffer than the strawberry jam, but I like it. With two peach pies in the freezer as well, (I even made the top crust for them from scratch -- thanks Joy of Cooking), I accomplished my major goals with the peaches, so I'm feeling pretty satisfied.

Next jam on deck is actually a jelly: Apple-Basil. I had this a few years ago from the local Farmer's Market and I have never forgotten it. I need to find a recipe, but the basil is growing tall in a container in the back and the apples are slowing ripening in the orchard on Carter's Mountain, so it is just a matter of time.

The Pick-Your-Own option seems like one of the best short of growing your own. Although the Dream Homestead would certainly include a whole orchard of different trees, for now this is what I can do. 

So I wait for the apple season for my next round of Jam Madness. Although just last night my friend Amy mentioned that her concord grapes are ripening, and she might be willing to donate them to the Jam Madness cause. *Insert evil jammy laugh here*


No comments:

Post a Comment